Sindh Police Embarrassed After Rangers Raid CTD Office

A man, who was abducted by the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) soon after his return from Iraq a couple of days ago, was recovered, and three policemen were arrested in a Rangers raid at the CTD’s Civil Lines office, as revealed on Wednesday.

The Rangers’ action caused significant embarrassment for the Sindh police, leading to the dismissal of at least three officials from their posts.

The incident occurred late Tuesday night. On Wednesday, the police registered a kidnapping case based on a complaint from a Rangers official, who is the uncle of the victim, Muhammad Aaliyan. The case was filed against three CTD officers: Sub-Inspector Tanveer Tahir, Assistant Sub-Inspector Shahid Husain, and Constable Umer Khan.

The complainant reported that on May 19, his nephew Aaliyan returned from Iraq and was taken by plain-clothed men in an official vehicle on Sharea Faisal near Wireless Gate.

Later, he received a phone call from his nephew’s cell phone. The caller identified himself as a CTD official and demanded Rs1.5 million for Aaliyan’s safe release. He was instructed to bring the money to the CTD Civil Lines office.

The complainant informed senior Rangers officers about the incident. A Rangers team was then formed and sent to the CTD office. Upon arrival, a private individual named Osama collected the cash on behalf of the CTD officials. Subsequently, three policemen emerged, handed over Aaliyan and his luggage after receiving the money.

Following this, the complainant, along with the Rangers team, re-entered the CTD premises. The private individual fled upon seeing them.

While the Rangers’ operation resulted in the arrest of the three CTD officers, Sindh Inspector General of Police Ghulam Nabi Memon refrained from labeling it a raid on the CTD office.

When questioned about whether it was a raid, the IGP stated: “It was not against the CTD office but against two police officers of CTD for demanding money to release an accused.”

IGP Removes SSP

Nonetheless, the police chief removed CTD SSP Imran Shaukat from his post and directed him to report to the Central Police Office. Additionally, CTD DSP Sohail Akhtar Sulehri and SHO Imdad Ali Khwaja were suspended pending departmental proceedings into their conduct.

CTD DIG Asif Aijaz Shaikh provided their side of the story to us. Acting on a tip-off, a CTD team detained Muhammad Aaliyan on May 19 when he exited the airport after visiting Iran and Iraq. He was brought to the CTD police station for interrogation. “During an initial probe, he was put on the ‘grey’ list and not declared ‘innocent’,” claimed the officer.

Meanwhile, certain policemen contacted Aaliyan’s family and demanded Rs1.5 million for his release. After negotiations, the CTD personnel agreed to accept Rs150,000 as a bribe and released him, the DIG added.

He stated that he and other officials reached the CTD office on Tuesday night as soon as they were informed about the incident. “After an inquiry, it was confirmed that three CTD personnel and their private informer had received the bribe for releasing the man,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.